The development of food chains in Naga City have affected some if not most of the restaurants in town when it comes to popularity but never has it affected the liking of Nagueños for their favourite snack bun – toasted siopao. A bun, filled with saucy meat, and other spices, combined and baked till well done thus, toasted. In restaurants, Siopao is eaten with mami, pansit or just a bottle of softdrinks.
Toasted Siopao preparations involve three basic steps such as kneading, sautéing and baking. Want to learn more? Watch our video.
Ingredients: In making Dough of Toasted Siopao
5 cups all-purpose flour
1½ cup evaporated milk
½ cup lukewarm water
2 teaspoon yeast
½ cup sugar
1. Mix the yeast and sugar in a separate bowl.
2. Set the mixture aside for 5 minutes.
3. Place the sifted flour in the mixing bowl.
4. Add yeast mixture and warm milk.
5. Then stir it.
6. Add the remaining flour on the mixture to make it stiff.
7. Put the royal on the mixture while stirring.
8. Put the dough on a slightly floured kneading board.
9. Press then fold the dough to make it smooth.
10. Form the dough into a ball and place it in a large, greased mixing bowl.
11. Then cover it with the moist towel, let it rise for 1 hour.
Making the filling of the Toasted Siopao
½ kilogram ground pork
1 cup soy sauce
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
1 pc garlic (minced)
½ teaspoon black pepper
125 ml. cornstarch
125 ml. flour
4 ml. salt
12. Mix all ingredients, except for the flour and cornstarch, in a large sauce pan
13. When the filling is about to be cooked, add the remaining ingredients, the flour and the cornstarch.
14. When it is cooked, remove it from heat and drain. The sauce from the filling could be used as the sauce.
Assembling the Toasted Siopao
15. When the dough finally rose, punch it.
16. Fold & punch repeatedly.
17. Measure 55g of dough.
18. Flatten the dough, then place the filling and the egg at the center.
19. Meet the edges, then put the wax paper at bottom or at the top of the seal.
20. After 30 mins of proofing, bake it for 30-40 mins at 150 degrees Celsius.
21. Remove the toasted siopao from the oven and serve while hot.